History of Access Youth
In 1993 PoCoMo Youth Services Society was incorporated, providing supports and services to youth ages 12 to 18 living in Port Moody, Coquitlam, and Port Coquitlam. In 2013 our agency expanded its services and programs outside of the Tri Cities and required a name that was inclusive to the new communities and youth we serve. The once known PoCoMo Youth became Access Youth Outreach Services Society and continues to be an independent, community based registered charity. As a grass-roots organization, our mandate includes the development and delivery of innovative programs and services for youth ages 12-23 who may be disadvantaged, marginalized, or at-risk. Presently, our services and programs are offered in the Tri Cities and Ridge Meadows communities. ACCESS creates opportunities for youth to reach their full potential. Our goal is to improve the well-being and self-worth of alienated and excluded at-risk youth through unconditional support, whenever and wherever necessary, with the view of reconnecting them with their family and community
To provide outreach support and services to at-risk youth in the community.
Our purpose is to enhance the QUALITY of life for the youth in the in the communities we serve who are marginalized, isolated, hanging out on the streets, homeless or at risk of homelessness. We achieve this by building RELATIONSHIPS with youth, enhancing their connection with community, strengthen their relationship with their family by bringing services to them.
- To recognize and build on the strengths inherent in all youth we serve;
- To foster personal growth and the healthy development of youth through relationships.
- To improve the safety and quality of life of “at-risk” youth in the community;
- To understand youths’ challenges and help them reach their full potential within the context of their own culture and community;
- To promote connections between youth and other significant sectors of community;
- To promote a healthy and respectful image of youth;
- To promote connections with youth that foster a sense of connection, belonging, and purpose;
- To create opportunities for youth to have input in decision making within their communities;
- To create opportunities for youth to be involved in community;
Access Youth Outreach Services Society are pioneers in the field of “streetwork” and are making a real difference in the lives of street involved youth.